fredag 26 augusti 2011

Overcoming nihilism - the Zoroastrian way (Continued)

Except that Nietzsche and Tanner meant radically different things.
What Nietzsche speaks of is acceptance of that which can not be changed or altered. His idea is identical to Zarathushtra's idea of asha (Zarathushra was of course the original Nietzschean). As a STARTING POINT for choices that CAN be made.
The only alternative would be to bitterly accuse the past for it being what it is. And I don't think Tanner would find that any more joyous. ;-
Having said this, I totally agree with you concerning Nietzsche's quote. It could have come straight from The Gathas.
And Parviz is a sweetheart and an excellent interlocutor.
Ushta
Alexander

2011/8/26 Special Kain

In "The Gay Science" Nietzsche wrote:
"I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things; then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful. Amor fati: let that be my love henceforth! I do not want to wage war against what is ugly. I do not want to accuse; I do not even want to accuse those who accuse. Looking away shall be my only negation. And all in all and on the whole: some day I wish to be only a yes-sayer."

It is indeed a beautiful thought. We love our fate and do not want anything to be different. And this is from where we will create ourselves ("to give style to one's character"). We take all the bits and pieces that we encountered and create something - someone - out of it that is larger than the sum of its parts. This is most affirmative. It is our artistic tastes based on ethical choice that give meaning to our existence.

Michael Tanner once said that this "undifferentiated yes-saying" creates strangely boring and dull persons. ;-)



Von: Parviz Varjavand
An: Ushta@yahoogroups.com
Gesendet: 3:35 Freitag, 26.August 2011
Betreff: Re: [Ushta] Overcoming nihilism - the Zoroastrian way


Dear Alex,

I wish I could present what I want to say as profoundly and well as you just did.
I could not agree with you more.

Mehr,
Parviz

--- On Thu, 8/25/11, Alexander Bard wrote:

From: Alexander Bard
Subject: [Ushta] Overcoming nihilism - the Zoroastrian way
To: Ushta@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, August 25, 2011, 7:21 AM


Dear Dino and Hampus

I believe Zarathusthtra's whole point - as with any process philosopher - is to leave the choice free (or rather explain that it always is) but then try to understand end explain the CONSEQUENCES of choices taken. It is quite easy for us to choose logically - and foresee the PRACTICAL and PHYSICAL consequences of our actions - but the really tough question which absorbed Zarathushtra is the question of WHAT OUR CHOICES DO TO US. Who am I before I choose? Who do I become after my choice? And who do I become after the consequences of actions taken become apparent? Which direction in my life are my actions taking ME as seen by myself?
This is a concern Zarathushtra shared with Nietzsche, but which does not seem to concern Zizek much (who doesn't speak of affirmation in his works). I believe it is the most important question of all. Nihilsim becomes AFFIRMATIVE the second it is properly thought through, and acted upon, this is when it becomes an AFFIRMATIVE nihilism and creates the opportunity for "amor faiti" or its result, "asha-vahishta".

Ushta
Alexander

2011/8/25 Special Kain

@ Alexander:
I agree. The thing that comes next is CHOICE. To choose what to do with it next and how to do it. As Nietzsche pointed out, there are at least two sides to nihilism: nihilism out of strength and nihilism out of weakness.
This is different from Slavoj Zizek's take on Nietzscheanism: active nihilism (one's willingness to destroy everything in equal measure) vs. passive nihilism (one's willingness to surrender to relentless destruction).

@ Hampus:
I really don't understand what you mean. Could you please elaborate on your thoughts? Much appreciated!

Inga kommentarer: